Policy update – Sensitive and classified information
PSPF policy 8: Sensitive and classified information has been amended to clarify and update the policy settings for:
- physical information (Annex A)
- government-issued mobile devices (Annex B)
- non-government mobile devices (Annex C)
- sensitive and security classified discussions (Annex D)
The key changes were to:
- establish policy settings for government-issued and non-government mobile devices
- prohibit use of SECRET information or devices in Zone 2 spaces
- strengthen requirements around use and storage of SECRET information at home
- clarify that SECRET and TOP SECRET information must not be used while travelling
- clarify that non-authorised devices are not permitted in Zones 4 and 5 or other locations where SECRET or TOP SECRET information or devices are present, and
- set out locations where audible dissemination of sensitive and security classified information can occur.
Entities will be required to report on their maturity against the updated PSPF policy 8 (excluding the new Zone 2 requirements) in the 2022–23 PSPF reporting period.
Some entities will need to upgrade facilities to meet the new requirements disallowing the use of SECRET information and devices in Zone 2 spaces. To accommodate this, an implementation period of 24 months will be applied to these requirements and they will be excluded from maturity calculations until the 2024–25 PSPF reporting period.
Policy 8 will be periodically reviewed to ensure it remains fit for purpose.